Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Your dishwasher can make dinner clean-up a breeze. But did you know it can also help you clean other areas of your home? Whether you’re deep cleaning your kitchen or picking up after your kids, your dishwasher will be your new best friend. If you’re hoping to cut down on the time you spend cleaning, I have great news for you! These 14 things you can wash in the dishwasher will make cleaning up your house so much easier!
See also: There’s a lot you can clean in a dishwasher, but a cast iron pan certainly isn’t one of them! Check out our article on how to properly clean your beloved cast iron pans.
I know – you use your dishwasher in the kitchen every day! What if I told you that you can use your dishwasher in the kitchen for more than just washing your dishes? As you’re deep cleaning your kitchen, cut down on your cleaning time by using your dishwasher to clean your:
Using the Dishwasher in the Kitchen
- Exhaust fan. Think about how dirty your kitchen exhaust fan gets and how long it would take you to scrub away that grime by hand. Next time your fan needs cleaning, place the filter and cover in the dishwasher to clean and degrease it without all the scrubbing.
- Refrigerator bins and shelves. It’s a good idea to clean your refrigerator on a regular basis. But scrubbing the shelves and bins can be a big job. When you’re ready to give your fridge a good scrubbing, place the bins and shelves in the dishwasher instead of washing them by hand.
- Cabinet knobs and pulls. The knobs and pulls on your kitchen cabinet doors and drawers can easily get dirty and sticky. Keep them clean by removing them and placing them in the dishwasher. Just be sure to place them in a mesh bag on the top rack to keep them from moving around the dishwasher as the cycle progresses.
- Microwave turntable. As you’re cleaning your microwave, place the glass turntable in the dishwasher to cut back on your cleaning time.
Things to Wash in Your Dishwasher: Washable Kids Toys
Let’s face it – kids are messy. Help keep up with their messes by cleaning up after your kids with your dishwasher. You can wash these kid’s items in your dishwasher:
- Plastic toys. All those plastic figurines, action figures, and game pieces can quickly be cleaned in the top rack of your dishwasher. Place smaller items in a mesh bag to keep them from getting tossed around by the water jets.
- Bath toys. Bath toys can get moldy and filled with mildew if they aren’t cleaned regularly. Luckily, all you have to do is place them in the top rack of the dishwasher to give them a good cleaning quickly.
While not all home décor can be placed in the dishwasher, there are a variety of decorative items that can be deep cleaned in your favorite kitchen appliance. Who would have thought washing things in the dishwasher would change the way you clean? As you’re deep cleaning the living spaces in your home, keep an eye of for these items and place them in the dishwasher to cut down on the amount of time you spend cleaning:
Home Décor That’s Safe for the Dishwasher
- Glass vases. If you have fresh flowers at home, your glass vases can get pretty dirty. Instead of handwashing those vases, place them in the dishwasher. Just be sure to skip washing anything with painted elements or anything that’s trimmed in gold or silver – those items could get damaged by the hot water.
- Vent grates. Since the vent grates around your house are located on the floor, they can get dirty quickly. Cut down on your scrubbing time by placing those dirty grates in the dishwasher instead of handwashing them.
- Outlet covers and switch plates. If your plastic outlet covers and switch plates are looking dingy, don’t waste your time scrubbing them by hand. Instead, remove the covers and place them in the dishwasher to make them look like new.
- Light fixtures. While you can’t exactly remove the entire fixture and place it in the dishwasher, you can get the glass globes and shades from your light fixtures sparkling clean in a flash. Just remove them from the fixture and place them in the dishwasher to remove residue and dust without lifting a finger.
Make the most of your dishwasher’s sanitizing power by cleaning bathroom accessories and tools in the appliance. Here are some of the best bathroom items to clean in the dishwasher:
- Counter-top accessories. After sitting on your bathroom counter top, your toothbrush holder and soap dishes can get pretty dirty. Make them look like new by running through a dishwasher cycle.
- Bathroom organizers. If your makeup organizer or drawer sorter is looking messy, just place it in the dishwasher to instantly clean it up.
- Hairbrushes. As long as your hairbrushes and combs are made from plastic, they can be cleaned in the dishwasher. Just be sure not to place any natural bristle brushes in the appliance or brushes that have a wooden handle.
- Manicure tools. While you may have an amazing manicure, the tools you use can quickly become unsanitary if you don’t clean them properly. Luckily, the heat from the dishwasher can kill fungus and bacteria on your tools, making them safe to use.