Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
No matter how small or big your bathroom is, chances are you could use a little bit of help keeping it clean and organized. Whether you have an amazing bathroom and want to keep it looking amazing or you desperately need to get your tiny bathroom organized to make the most of the space, I’m here to help! In these five easy steps, you can organize your bathroom and keep it that way.
See also: One piece of the puzzle to getting a clean bathroom is staying on top of those floors! We’ve got an article on how to keep your floors clean, which is a great place to start!
Start by Decluttering
The best way to begin organizing your bathroom is to declutter the area. That means removing everything from all the cabinets and shelves and sorting through each item. To declutter your bathroom, take everything out and place in a central location. After everything is removed from the room, start sorting through all the items.
- Throw away all the beauty supplies, make-up, and medicine that is expired
- Get rid of all the towels and washcloths that are stained or ripped
- Toss all your bathroom appliances, like hair dryers or straighteners, that don’t work anymore
- Throw away all other items that you no longer need or use that are opened or in poor condition
- Consider donating items that are unopened or still in working order
When you have gotten rid of all the items for your bathroom you no longer need, you can start sorting through the items that are left. Place items in piles according to their type. Place all hair care items in one pile, manicure items in a separate pile, make-up in another pile, and medicine in a separate pile, for example. For the most part, you can sort your bathroom items into the following categories:
- Hair care
- Hair tools
- Skin care
- Grooming tools
- First aid
- Towels and washcloths
- Cleaning supplies
- Cotton items
- Paper goods
Gather Storage Containers
One of the best ways to organize your bathroom is by using storage containers to sort and store all your supplies. Take a look at the different piles of bathroom items you’ve sorted and think about the best way to sort each pile. The types of storage containers you’ll use will depend on the amount of storage space you have in your bathroom and the number and size of the items you’ll need to store. You could:
- Store larger items, like hair spray and lotion bottles, in baskets and bins
- Sort smaller items, like make-up and nail polish, in drawer organizers or small pull-out drawers inside your bathroom cabinet
- Use the back of your cabinet doors to hang larger items like hair dryers and straighteners
- Hang a shower caddy to keep shampoos, conditioners, and body wash organized inside the shower
- Store your cleaning supplies in a carrying caddy to make cleaning the bathroom easier
- Add a small storage shelf, wall shelves, or a rolling cart to increase the amount of storage space in a small bathroom
Clean the Room
Since your bathroom is clear of clutter, it’s a great time to clean the room. In addition to making sure all your shelves and drawers are nice and clean, take the time to clean the rest of the room to ensure you have a nice, clean slate when adding all your bathroom items back into the space. Before placing everything back into the room, make sure to:
- Clean all cabinet shelves, doors and exteriors
- Wipe down the inside and outside of all drawers and shelving units
- Scrub the shower and storage spaces inside the shower
- Move out all furniture and clean behind and under each piece
- Wipe the vanity counter and sink
- Clean the medicine cabinet inside and out
Start Organizing the Bathroom
After your bathroom is completely clean you can start organizing. Place all the items that belong in the bathroom into their designated baskets and bins and put those organizers on the shelves. Fill the drawers with drawer organizers and place the things that belong in those drawers neatly into place.
After you have all your cabinets and drawers sorted, you can move on to other areas of the room:
- Organize your shower and bathtub by placing only the items needed inside. Use a sturdy shower organizer or caddy to keep the shampoo, conditioner, body wash, razors, and soap neat and orderly.
- Keep your vanity organized by using decorative storage on top of the counter to store everyday items, like toothbrushes and hand soap.
To make sure your bathroom stays organized after you’re finished decluttering, it’s a good idea to label all your containers. With my free printable bathroom labels, you can easily label each of your bathroom storage containers to ensure it stays neat and clean from now on.
To use my printable pantry labels, simply print them out on sticker paper and attach them to your bins and baskets. Or print them on plain white paper and use packing tape to stick them to the front of each container.